Thursday, January 31, 2008

Nature vs. Nurture

Monkey in the middle. The very name of this game should bring terror to anyone playing or watching. It is basically keep away with the person in the middle screaming/crying/laughing until they get the ball. And then it's the other person's turn to scream/cry/laugh. Needless to say, my sons think this game is the greatest. They play this or some other real/created game every night in our hallway. I thought this was what all families did with the time after dinner and before bed.

That was until I had a daughter. Last week at Lucy's 15 month check-up the nurse asked me if she could throw a ball overhand. I didn't know. I couldn't remember her throwing a ball. She's thrown toys when she's mad at her brothers, so I said yes. I was very disappointed that we hadn't played catch with our little girl. So I went home and rolled or threw the ball to her that afternoon. That lasted about 3 seconds. She has no interest. She'll play for a few turns, mostly to be part of the action, and then she goes and gets her dolls.

This is what Lucy was doing during the mayhem that is monkey in the middle. Pretty dang cute! She's started bouncing and trying to feed her babies. She's even adopted the babies I gave to the boys, to Justin's horror, when they were little.

So now I imagine people with daughters probably sing songs and rock baby dolls to sleep quietly before bed. While at the Spencers, all "H" is breaking loose while Lucy bounces her babies.

3 comments:

Morgan said...

That is one cute little girl you have. Even if you don't practice throwing with her, at least make sure she can kick a soccer ball.

Sam said...

So true. We had such high hopes for our girls... lacrosse sticks, snowshoes, tennis reackets, climbing harnesses - the whole bit. And still all they want to do is create dances, bead and trade lip gloss. I believe there is still hope though, they'll realize soon enough. And don't worry, with your awesome troop Lucy will be wrasslin' soon enough. Plus how dear is a baby with her baby?!

Sam said...

ANd by the way... that is a great imagination you have to think that us folk with daughters are quietly sing songing our babies to bed. That's what I do with them in my imagination too, after all the drama.